It would seem that what could be simpler: put on shorts and run. But everything is a little more complicated than it seems at first glance. Sport shorts can be of various types: short and long, made of synthetic materials and natural fabrics, loose and tight, or even with compression.
Quick-drying fabric and a comfortable fit are essential in shorts, but there are elements that runners cannot do without.
- Elastic waistband. The wider and denser the waistband is, the better it fixes the shorts on the body and does not allow them to slip during intense movements.
- Pocket. Almost all models have a side pocket without a zipper. It’s suitable for training runs close to home or training in the fitness club.
- Reflective details. It’s a necessity for athletes who run in the darkness.
Materials of shorts
- Synthetics. Most of the sportswear is made of synthetic materials. The main characteristics of all synthetic fabrics are similar: they are lightweight, they wick moisture away from the body, and dry quickly, but there are differences in the wear resistance of the material, its elasticity, and softness.
- Cotton. You can do workouts in cotton training shorts, but not for a long period of time. Natural fibers quickly absorb and accumulate moisture since it takes a long time to dry.
- Wool. Some manufacturers combine natural wool with synthetic materials in their apparel, because wool fibers are excellent at wicking moisture and keeping cool in hot weather. The material also prevents the growth of bacteria that cause unpleasant odors.
Length of Shorts
The mens and womens sports shorts are designed in various lengths. Which one to choose is a matter of personal preference and habits. The shortest one is 2" and the longest model is 9".
- Short (above mid-thigh). Usually, it’s training shorts for women. The athlete is not distracted by short shorts, but focuses on the train. The pros of this length are minimal weight, maximum freedom of movement, and ventilation.
- Medium (up to mid-thigh). Such models are suitable for workouts in any condition. Shorts of this length, matched to the size and features of the figure, practically do not restrict movement.
- Long shorts (below mid-thigh but above the knees). It’s the most versatile model. They are suitable for workouts, fitness, and everyday life.
GRITR Outdoors has a huge range of training shorts both for men and women. Whether you are going to do extreme sports or looking for a reliable pair for everyday life, we have what you need.